Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Irony.

Life is full of it. Everywhere you turn, the situation that presents itself always includes a good measure of irony. Such that one cannot help but wonder if the lives we lead are merely to entertain some unknown cosmic entity, who then relishes in observing our varied reactions to the irony of it all.

But I don't come to philosophise or theorize. It's ironic, how the Sister who looked set to remain a veritable spinster at least for the next five years or so, just very recently got attached to a reg (Registrar - the medical not the legal kind) three years her senior and your truly, who for all intent and purposes, had envisaged living the rest of my life with that someone, is now single and very much unavailable.

The irony of the fact that she got attached just about the time I broke up is not lost on me either. Or that she's now the one who locks herself in the room wherein the sounds of animated conversation and peals of laughter issue forth. But like any decent sibling, I'm happy for her. Firstly, as she's mellowed considerably, no longer so anal retentive over retarded things and more inclined to do pleasant things like baking her formidable array of cakes and desserts without so much as a request. Secondly, because I'm such a nice brother. Really.

Personally, I'm not too sure what to make out of it. I've never been a "Let's pray and see whether God wants us to be together" kind of person, even in my most devout days long long ago before I actively sought the "joys of cock" as that butch bartender from Little Britain puts it. Nor does it help that the relationship has an element of drama and potential tragedy that would be right at home in any weepy Korean love drama series.

The aforementioned element can be briefly described as thus: boyfriend (hero) suddenly discovers that he has a pre-existing medical condition which strongly predisposes him to the chance of suffering a severe stroke and dying. Heroine/sister decides to stick it through with him regardless. *Cue -lots of tears and professed declarations of godly love* So ya, that's it in a nutshell. But she looks happy, certainly sounds happy and if it means she's happy and not always in my face ranting about retarded things, hey I'm happy for her too.

Next thing. You would think that being single, I'd have a lot more time, to pamper myself and/or do the things I really want. All of which seem to require a considerable sum of money but no matter. However the irony is that ever since the breakup, I haven't been able to find the time to do the above. Between work and WoW (World of Warcraft), I hardly have time for anything else. Work is heavy but bearable, WoW still incredibly fun but much too little time to maximise the enjoyment.

And speaking of work, it's ironic how the PM and the bunch of LAs think I'm a pussy chaser and persist in attempting to hook me up with random girls from different departments when as you all know I'd prefer a lean hard body to play 'Daytona' with anytime Pity there are no attractive candidates in the Firm. Though on hindsight, that's probably a good thing after all.

I've been getting rides back home from a colleague who stays nearby. He drives a nifty car and comes over like clockwork everyday, checks if I want to have dinner with him and another colleague then comes back just before leaving to see if I'm done (or gone for that matter). And the irony is not lost, where once I would meet up with Sean, take a train back up to his place before he sends me home, I now get lifts from a nice albeit straight and wholly unattractive colleague and talk about desirable qualities in a female partner.

I want dick yet I don't want to find anyone just for dick. Ah, the stupid idiosyncrasy of human nature. Anyhow, here's a music video of a song I've always liked, yet it remains, as of now, totally inappropriate. Ah the irony. Betcha didn't know good old Paula Abdul could move like that. Look at that footwork. Woo!

Straight Up - Paula Abdul


Lost in a dream
I don't know which way to go
A-let me say, if you are all that you seem
Then, baby, I'm movin' way too slow
I've been fooled before
Wouldn't like to get my love
Caught in the slammin' door
How about some information, please?

(Chorus:)
Straight up, now tell me
Do you really wanna love me forever
Oh, oh, oh
Or am I caught in a hit-and-run?
Straight up, now tell me
Is it gonna be you and me together
Oh, oh, oh
Or are you just havin' fun?

Time's standing still
Waiting for some small clue
A-let me tell you now, I keep getting chills
When I think your love is true
I've been fooled before
Wouldn't like to get my love
Caught in the slammin' door
How about some information, please?

(Repeat chorus)

(Bridge 1:)
You are so hard to read
You play hide-and-seek
With your true intentions
If you're only playin' games
I'll just have to say
A b-b-b-bye, b-b-b-bye

(Bridge 2:)
Do, do you love me?
(Do, do you love me, baby?)
Do, do you love me?
(Do, do you love me? A-hey, baby)
Do, do you love me?
(Do, do you love me, baby?)
Do, do you love me?
(Do, do you love me?)
A-tell me, baby

I've been a fool before
Wouldn't like to get my love
Caught in the slammin' door
Are you more than hot for me
Or am I a page in your history book?
I don't mean to make demands
But the word and the deed
Go hand in hand
How about some information, please?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Paula Abdul started off as a choreographer and worked on some of Janet Jackson's music videos. Guess it was just a hop, skip and jump (no pun intended) for her to come up with her own single and accompanying music video ....

I've been busy settling into my new workplace and am trying to re-start a decent gym programme - in a way it has been good cos I haven't had time to go into an introspective funk .....

wildgoose said...

Life is what you make of it. Whenever a relationship is over, I just tell myself, the next one will be better. Been true so far in that you know better what you want, and how to handle a relationship.

Aelgtoer said...

Jonathan: Well that's news I wasn't aware she was a choreographer, tho that'll probably explain her nifty moves.

Gymming is good la, certainly a lot healthier than snacking and trying to clear the mountain of work at office. Introspective funk.. how true. ^^

WG:
That's a nice optimistic outlook to take and look where it's gotten you. Settled down with a nice man. :)