Thursday, October 2, 2008

One of those days.

Today was one of those days. You know the kind where you get out from the wrong side of the bed and everything seems to go wrong. Or in my case, failing to get out of bed at all. So I woke up around 11.50am bleary eyed with a bad throat, glanced at the alarm clock and thought "Oh Saturday, another hour then.." and was about to return to lala land when that sudden dreadful feeling of wrongness just swept over me. That Oh shit knee jerk reaction replete with that sinking feeling of inevitable doom.

The transition from sleepy to oh fuck took a sluggish five seconds as I mentally discounted the 'safe' possibilities. (Nightmare. no. Hari Raya. yesterday. Sunday. no.) Then realised to my abject horror that I had a hearing in Court at 10am in the morning. And sure enough the emails and messages flooded in when I turned on my phone. Thankfully, it was just to get dates for the trial so the matter was settled after a few frenzied calls to fellow colleagues and a secretary who kept laughing over the phone (Partying hard last night is it?).

Apart from a couple of emails from spastic clients who demanded to know when their pleadings/matters would be addressed since it had been 'some time' since they instructed us (2-3 days ftw) and an irritating old man who plonked himself down at the same table while I was enjoying my frog porridge and rambled on and on about the state of the opposition in Singapore (stuff it old man I'm trying to eat); the day was largely uneventful.

I guess it's just the few frantic "oh shit oh shit" minutes when you wake up in the morning and realise to your horror that you should be somewhere else that very minute. I always find it perverse how the usual routine of getting jarred awake by the alarm gets short circuited in the rare (thankfully) occasions the oh shit situations happen. And the alarm is always off and I have no recollection of turning it off. Bugger.

I leave you with the utterly sappy and mushy 'Fairy Tale' by Michael Wong, which J. just had to send me the link with the result that it was stuck in my head for the better part of a week. Not that I'll be singing this song anytime soon, if at all.

7 comments:

sinlady said...

gives new meaning to the term "rude awakening" eh? haha

wildgoose said...

It happens to me ALL the time. That's why I always have two alarms. :P I used to set my radio so loud, it would make anyone jump out of bed, cos it's the only way I would wake up. hahahah....

Aelgtoer said...

SL: Ha ha totally, I mean that's usually the kind of nightmares I get.

WG: I hope for the sake of your Hubby that he's a heavy sleeper too haha. 2 Alarms!! But actually the Ex's sister was also a heavy sleeper her fricking loud alarm would go off for 30 mins and she'll still be out like a truck.

Anonymous said...

brudder brudder, i envy you. and I have trouble from making sure i do not wake up before my alarm rings. tell u man, i have not slept well the day i started out in this profession.

Anonymous said...

A successful guy who plays MMOs, reads Yaoi, watches Anime, has a sense of humor, and who happens to be gay.

Given my luck with the Balancer of the Cosmos, you're probably in Australia. :P

wildgoose said...

actually, he's a light sleeper, so I try not to let the alarm snooze too many times now. Am not such a heavy sleeper anymore. :)

Aelgtoer said...

Not-so-Anonymous: oh shut up. You have a hot chick, lots of action and are plannig to leave the profession soon. Who should be envying whom eh? lol

Anonymous: Wow that was a great tagline. You happen to be an editor or something?

I've not had much luck with gods or Balancers in general so I'm said to disappoint you I'm in Singapore. ^^ You, my fair stranger, sound like you're in Australia tho. :P

WG: Ha ha light sleeper than jialat for him. Well not to worry. You have a third alarm clock now. It's called The Husband. :)